Kenya and Tanzania – Best of Both Worlds Safari
Do you want to see both Kenya and Tanzania, enjoy one of the earth’s great grasslands? This trip is for you. We design all of our trips to be a bit longer, to give you more time in locations, more time to linger and enjoy. We will see varied landscapes from the desert of Amboseli to the jungle of Manyara to the spectacular granite formation of Gol Kopjes and the birth of humanity at Oldupai Gorge.
You will see more wildlife than you can imagine in every location. With no more than 3 guests per vehicle you will have plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the magnificence of East Africa.
Note that this safari begins in Nairobi, Kenya, (NBO) and flies out of Arusha, Tanzania (JRO).
Amboseli National Park
Perhaps our favorite place on earth Amboseli is a study in contrasts: Look one way to see elephants returning across the desert from the Chyulu Hills or Kamana each morning. Look the other to see elephants, cape buffalo, wildebeest, zebras and myriad birds feasting on succulent grasses in wetlands, all with Mt. Kilimanjaro dominating the southern sky. Learn about the incredible effort to save elephants when they leave the protection of Amboseli each night to search for ruffage. The smaller size of Amboseli makes for easy and relaxed wildlife drives. Amboseli National Park is a close second to the Tetons and Yellowstone as our favorite place on earth.
A long dormant volcano the floor of Ngorongoro Crater is an open grassland replete with wildlife of all species. The crater floor is 102 square miles some 2000 feet below the rim – a true microcosm of wildlife found throughout East Africa. Herds of wildebeest are stalked by hyenas, flamingos and hippos find refuge in Lake Magadi. Spotted hyenas, lions, rhinos and elephants can all be found in the crater. Nogorongoro Crater simply has an amazing concentration of wildlife to be seen everywhere you look.
Serengeti National Park
Welcome to “The Place Where The Land Goes On Forever” – Siringet in the Maasai language or the Serengeti to you and I. These endless plains are home to the greatest concentration of big cats left on earth. You will see several lion prides, leopards lurking along the Seronera River and elsewhere, cheetahs atop the Gol Kopjes, vast herds of wildebeest, zebras, topis, antelopes and more. This perfect place is what you think of when you think of Africa. Almost twice the size of Yellowstone you will be enthralled by the experience of being in the Serengeti.
Located in the southern Serengeti, Ndutu is a vast woodland interspersed with plains, Lake Ndutu and marshes. Wildebeest will be calving, lions are abundant, antelope are everywhere and we have had our favorite cheetah encounters here. Driving around the shores of Lake Ndutu you will see giraffes, flamingoes and the odd crocodile. Ndutu is a truly special place.
We will make a short stop here to see the birthplace of humanity.
The jungle canopy at Lake Manyara is home to several species of primates including baboons, vervet monkeys, blue monkeys and the Manyara monkey. See orange bishops and more exotic African birds as we cap an adventure of a lifetime.
This tour requires a little walking but is not physically demanding. You will be getting in to and out of an SUV. Some of the roads are pretty bumpy. Beyond that this is a very easy trip.
We recommend that everyone wear SPF long-sleeve shirts, bring a brimmed hat and long pants. Some waterproof light hikers are nice but not necessary.
Feel free to pack light – we bring no more than two extra changes of clothes – as laundry is widely available.
Key Areas Visited
Amboseli National Park, Kenya
Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania
- 1 x meet & greet service on the first day
- all road transfers
- 1 night at Four Points Sheraton, Nairobi
- 3 nights in Amboseli staying at Amboseli Serena Lodge
- 2 nights at Ngorongoro Crater staying at Ngorongoro Serena Lodge… including a full day in the Crater on Feb 19th, and a morning drive in the Crater on Feb 20th… You will return to the lodge for lunch while the glass windows are replaced by canvas windows for the rest of the trip.
- 4 nights in the Serengeti National Park staying at Seronera Wildlife Lodge
- 6 nights at Ndutu staying at Ndutu Safari Lodge
- 1 night at Lake Manyara Serena Lodge
- Entry fees to all parks
- Private use of 3 x safari-equipped Toyota Landcruisers
- Water while on game drives
- Complimentary use of professional beanbags
- Experienced professional local driver/guides
- ALL MEALS are included EXCEPT those detailed in the NOT INCLUDED section below
- International flights to Kenya and out of Kilimanjaro (Tanzania)
- VISA fees for both Kenya & Tanzania
- Travel & Equipment Insurance
- Lunches and dinners while staying at the Four Points Sheraton in Nairobi on Feb 14th
- Dinner while at the Kia Lodge
- Tips/gratuities for your local driver/guide
- Tips/gratuities for the lodges, camps, and hotels
- Tips/gratuities for luggage porters